1. lately i have decided that 'Let's take Jesus off the dashboard/Got enough on his mind' (from 'Diet Mountain Dew' by Lana Del Rey) is among my favourite song lyrics, just because of all the stuff that those two lines suggest without being explicit. I'm gonna list it. Dunno if this is correct, because i always forget how the rest of the song goes anyway, but this is my interpretation.
- there are two people
- they are in a car with a little jesus figure on the dashboard (just to set the scene)
- they are probably religious, or at least have a religious background
- they're about to do something 'naughty' (probably have sex) in the car
- they're kind of rebellious and not really shameful, kind of like 'jesus might not approve of this but i don't actually think it's wrong'
- there was other stuff i could think of before but it's gone now
(possibly this is accentuated by literature-brain from studying literature.)
all my other favourite lines from songs that I can think of right now are from Nick Cave songs. i love his imagery so much, for example basically all of 'west country girl'
2. sometimes i wonder how much of my life's experience is shared by other people. i mean, things like objects and ideas that are commonplace to me; how commonplace are they, really? for example, boogie boards. do people who rarely go to the beach know what they are? surf boards are somewhat more well known but boogie boards are like the dorky little brother of surf boards, and it's occurred to me to wonder whether they're used across the board (OH DEAR)
3. last night I dreamed a doctor who episode (?) (this has happened before. i mean it's not a real doctor who episode, just... well basically i dreamed an adventure with the doctor)
it was super weird. i'm going to write what i can remember.
I think at the start I was at someone's wedding. can't remember a lot of that. at some point early on i was moving with my family through a sequence of rooms - we were trying to escape something? maybe the lannisters???? not sure; this may have been before the wedding, whatever that was about.
i don't know. i'm forgetting.
anyway, at some point I ran into the doctor, somehow, and there was this thing that was an encyclopedia but it was futuristic so it didn't look like a book. it actually looked like a chess piece. not originally, but things change in dreams; by the end it was a chess piece. for some reason we were fighting over it, and then it got flung into the air during the scuffle and flung all the way into this massive room, into a section of the room that was devoted to chess tables. all the pieces somehow got knocked onto the floor. or maybe they were already there. anyway the encyclopedia blended in and i raced to find it but there wasn't time so I just scooped as many chess pieces as i could off the boards and the floor and into the pocket of my hoodie (way more fitted in than they should have).
i became aware (somehow; dream logic) that this was this place full of objects and it was somewhat like the daycare place in Toy Story 3, in that some of the objects were sentient and some were really mean to others. some of the meanest were these things like chess pieces but in ku klux klan hats. really they looked more like wizard hats because they were just tall pointy cones, but in my dream i was like 'those are like the ku klux klan'. anyway, there was a lot of them, so even though they were tiny they could gang up on the other objects and... beat them up? not exactly sure what they were doing. I got the impression that they weren't in charge, though; they were acting under orders, but from who, i don't know.
i was looking for something else, too; i can't remember if it was still the tiny encyclopedia and i'd forgotten that i already had it in my pocket alongside a bunch of ordinary chess pieces, or if i was worried that i'd only got ordinary chess pieces and the encyclopedia was still in this huge room of junk, or if it had snapped as it got thrown and i still had to find the other half, or if it was something totally unrelated. maybe it was all of those. the story tends to change as i go along, in my dreams.
basically the last i remember of the doctor's involvement was he got a message that said 'help me' and immediately he knew that it was from this mysterious person who was too shy to actually talk to him face to face, but kept getting stuck in various places where the doctor happened to be nearby. not sure how he knew this, but this seems to be part of his character anyway; he's always coming to conclusions that are right but you're like 'HOW EXACTLY DID YOU FIGURE THAT OUT FROM LIKE NOTHING'. although he does sometimes get it wrong.
but we had to find our own way out before we could help the shy dude. he was hiding in a cupboard in the meantime.
anyway, i kept searching for whatever the thing was on all these shelves full of books but also a lot of other junk, and i kept hearing things rattling around. i dug around at the back of a shelf and found a little tin with a bead/shell/some other kind of small, roundish object in it (they mostly just looked like small coloured shapes, i don't know what they were); it was mute and kind of terrified and had been trapped in there by the kkk chess pieces, or someone on their side. i kept finding more like it either trapped in tins etc. or hiding from the things that have been trapping them. i gathered them up and put them inside a toy car????? eventually rescuing all the tiny terrified things sort of took over from whatever my quest had been before, so i put them all in the toy car so that i could secretly carry them out of the room. i rescued other things too, like this cockroach-like thing made of sequins. they all ran around inside the car, i'm not sure how it had enough space.
the doctor wasn't actually involved through most of this dream.
also, i don't remember which doctor he was? some combination of 10 and 11 i think. not sure.
there's a lot i'm not sure of in my dreams.
i wish i remembered more. there's so much that's just... on the edge of my memory, but not quite... there... anymore
4. reading A Song of Ice and Fire at the moment; i'm up to A Feast For Crows. haven't seen any of the tv series. SPOILER ALERT, EVERYONE DIES ALL THE TIME. i shouldn't be surprised anymore, but i still am. it's just - it's so unexpected when main characters are killed off. it's just not something you expect. main characters tend to have a kind of immunity. NOT SO HERE.
it's a good thing, really. but kind of shocking. i don't think i'll stop being shocked. also: all those minor characters that get introduced only to die within the chapter. this shocks me most when the chapter is from their point of view. otherwise i don't care a lot.
i love the complexity of the universe though! the world building amazes me so much. especially the religions. i really hate the one with r'hllor, though, even though that seems to be the most legit. something about it makes me angry. possibly the sacrifices and burning things. idk. maybe it's the athiest in me, baulking at the idea of a legit religion. i just want it to turn out to be all trickery. does this mean i'm closed-minded, probably, does that mean i have become that which i hate, possibly, this is leading me down an unhappy train of thought...
i like the weirwoods though. it makes me sad when they are burnt.
i don't know who i want to win, but everybody seems to be losing
also it really makes me mad when people let slip who is going to die. this keeps happening. btw being played by an actor who dies in everything is a spoiler that the character is going to die, ESPECIALLY IF WE WERE JUST TALKING ABOUT HOW THAT ACTOR DIES IN EVERYTHING *seethes*
although i was still in the first book back then
i am wasting a lot of time that i should be using to study on this series, btw
5. uuuuuuugh capital letters, you have always been my downfall
especially when i was learning german